Subject: Revised specification draft posted: Context/Value Association

Fellow CLRTC members,

I've just posted the latest revision to the Context/Value Association
file format specification as a preliminary ZIP file at:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=25875

This replaces the former Schematron-based Value Validation Using
Genericode methodology (itself a replacement of the UBL Methodology
for Code List and Value Validation).

Changes from the previous version include:

  - new project name: Context/Value Association
  - focus is the file format of association, not a validation methodology
  - validation only referenced as an example application of CVA files
  - masquerading meta data changed to mimic genericode Identification
  - changed case of names from "...URI" to "...Uri" to match genericode
  - removed references to UBL (though some UBL-based examples are
still present)

Based on some discussions with OASIS staff, the specification's
"Locations:" entries for the XSD files that you see now in the
document will be removed, and the reader of the document will rely on
the namespace RDDL document to locate the XSD files.

The temporary ZIP file locations will also be removed from the
specification once it is finalized because the documents will be
found in the CLRTC repository, not the Kagi repository.

Until such time as a committee draft becomes available on the OASIS
site, these preliminary ZIP files contain an "xsd-temp" directory
where you will find a draft of the namespace RDDL index.html
document, and the latest drafts of the XSD schema.  When this moves
to committee draft these files will be posted in the CLRTC repository.

I don't expect committee members to have read through the
specification in detail before Tuesday's teleconference, but could
you please skim it before the meeting starts?  This is far far
shorter than the earlier documents because it doesn't have any
validation stylesheet details, as they were ruled out of scope in our
earlier discussions.  I would like to know if the new focus and
revised content meets with the directions anticipated by committee
members.  If so, then I'll work on polishing this into a committee draft.

For those interested in using OASIS context/value association files
for XML document validation, I've released the Schematron-based suite
of stylesheets as a free Crane developer resource.  Follow the "Free
resources" link from our home page cited in my trailer below.  This
move supports the committee comments that supporting stylesheets is
not a committee function and that the committee should focus solely
on file format specifications and not any biased implementations of
those specifications.  In this way others might be inspired to create
alternative implementations of committee file format specifications.

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008
Male Cancer Awareness Jul'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc