Subject: Re: [codelist] Guidance sought re: changes for annotations

What genericode does is that the "Annotation/Documentation" elements are
used for documentation/description information.  There are no other
genericode elements used for this kind of information.  However,
"Annotation/AppInfo" elements are purely for the use of end-users, they
are not used for anything that the genericode specification depends on.

If you were to follow the same reasoning for CVA, you would keep the
"Identification" element as is, but replace the "Description" element with
"Annotation/Documentation".

Note also that in genericode, wherever "Annotation" occurs, it is always
the first (optional) child element.

Cheers, Tony.

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:32:52 -0000, G. Ken Holman
<gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I started making the changes to the CVA specification according to our
> last teleconference.
>
> I wanted to get some discussion regarding the changes before engaging
> them, because I'm not sure how to proceed.
>
> Version 0.2 allows mixed content in constructs like <ValueList> and
> adding the new <Annotation> with <AppInfo> and <Documentation> there
> makes sense.
>
> But if I add <Annotation> below the document element, does that remove
> the need for <Identification> and <Description>?  My thought is that
> <Annotation> should not have any standardized content at all ... it
> should be purely for users to add their own augmentation.
>
> Here is what a sample instance looks like now:
>
> <ValueListConstraints xmlns...
>    id="urn:x-illustration"
>    name="code-list-rules">
>
>    <Title>
>      Illustration of code list constraints - order-constraints.cva
>    </Title>
>
>    <Identification>
>      $Id: order-constraints.cva,v 1.6 2007/11/21 02:23:18 G. Ken Holman
> Exp $
>    </Identification>
>
>    <Description>
>      This is an illustrative example of all of the features of
> specifying the
>      context/value constraints that one can express for XML documents.
>
>      The validation requirements for this contrived scenario are as
> follows:
>       - the UN/CEFACT currency code list is restricted to be
>         only Canadian and US dollars
>       - the seller must be in the US
>       - the buyer may be in either Canada or the US
>       - the definition for Payment Means is extended to include
>         both UBL definitions and additional definitions
>    </Description>
>
> Each of the above has the same content model as
> <Annotation><Documentation> would, that is, mixed content with any
> foreign vocabulary (e.g. XHTML).  So, I'm thinking that <Annotation>
> does not belong as a child for any of <Title>, <Identification> or
> <Description>.  For symmetry, though, should I force <Documentation> as
> a child of Title as in:
>
>    <Title>
>      <Documentation>
>        Illustration of code list constraints - order-constraints.cva
>      </Documentation>
>    </Title>
>
>    <Identification>
>      <Documentation>
>        $Id: order-constraints.cva,v 1.6 2007/11/21 02:23:18 G. Ken
> Holman Exp $
>      </Documentation>
>    </Identification>
>
> Instead, should the second one be expected to be application info?
>
>    <Title>
>      <Documentation>
>        Illustration of code list constraints - order-constraints.cva
>      </Documentation>
>    </Title>
>
>    <Identification>
> [...]

Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner
Miley Watts LLP
Experts In Data
UK: +44 (20) 8816 7700, US: +1 (239) 344 7700
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
Data standards participant: genericode, ISO 20022 (ISO 15022 XML),
UN/CEFACT, MDDL, FpML, UBL.
http://www.mileywatts.com/