Subject: Next step in the CVA standardization process

Fellow CLRTC members,

Now that the first week of the new year is done, I'm hoping things
are starting to get back to normal for committee members.

Our public review for Context/Value Association files was from 16
October 2009 to 15 December 2009:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist/200910/msg00005.html

With many thanks to Viswanath Jayachandran, we have formal comments
for our consideration in improving the specification for the next
public review draft:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist-comment/200912/msg00000.html
   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist-comment/200912/msg00002.html

I would like to discuss these comments over email during this week,
and convene a short Skype teleconference tentatively scheduled for
Monday 2010-01-18 17:00UTC to finalize our email discussion.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=01&day=18&year=2010&hour=17&min=0&sec=0

Given that time I regret that our input from New Zealand will likely
be only be email (unless Juerg can attend at 06:00 his time!).

Please share your thoughts regarding Viswanath's input to the committee.

Please let me know off list if the date and time for the
teleconference doesn't work for you.  I note some of my customers
have Martin Luther King Jr. day off work but that others do not, and
I hope this isn't an impediment.

My travel schedule is such that if we cannot do it then, we may have
to wait until February.  It would be nice to have it done and produce
another 15-day public draft.  That review can happen while I'm
traveling, and we'll have it done during the UBL face-to-face meeting
in Copenhagen.

Then we will have a committee specification and we can start thinking
about making it an OASIS standard.

Recall our process:  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php

Note that according to section 3.4 we need to find three Statements
of Use in order to progress the committee specification to an OASIS
standard.  According to definition "ai" in section 1, "Statement of
Use": with respect to a specification, is a written statement by an
OASIS Organizational Member stating that it is successfully using or
implementing that specification in accordance with the conformance
clauses specified in Section 2.18, and stating whether its use
included the interoperation of multiple independent implementations.

Do we know any OASIS organizational members that are actively using
Context/Value Association files?  Apparently we cannot cite the UBL
technical committee as a user, and the latest version of CVA files
won't be shipped until UBL 2.1 is released.  Actually, there will be
some preliminary releases of UBL 2.1 using CVA, so perhaps users of
UBL 2.1 will be able to exploit those CVA files and then can claim to
be users of CVA files we need for standardization.

But even without standardization, becoming a committee specification
is very important because of its stability and some anxious users are
waiting for CS status before working with the files.

Thanks!

--
UBL and Code List training:      Copenhagen, Denmark 2010-02-08/10
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19