Subject: Converting genericode ODT documentation to DocBook XML

Fellow Code List Representation TC members,

After some hours I have converted Committee Specification 01 (28 December 2007) from Word format to DocBook XML format for future editing. This is necessary due to the requirement to simultaneously produce PDF results in both OASIS layout and ISO Directives Part 2 layout. I've also installed all the GitHub publication tools and tested them.

This is the repository:

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/codelist-genericode

Pick up the latest published results from the top-most set of results here (I've been deleting old runs to save space):

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/codelist-genericode/actions

Pick up the latest archived results csd04wd01 from Kavi here:

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=68158
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/document.php?document_id=68158

I've updated the base README file with a description of the repository, directory, and files. I've also documented how the published files are retrieved and archived in Kavi.

Please note that the directory names and file names may change after continued discussions with OASIS TC Administration.

You will need an XML editor. I have included in the repository support for the oXygen XML editor. I will include support for other XML editors if any committee member is using such and can donate it to the committee.

You do not need any publication tools. The publishing of the XML to both HTML and PDF is done automatically on every check-in of any branch.

*** ACTION: Still I do not have the GitHub credentials (username and associated email address) for all committee members. Please forward them so that you can create branches and submit pull requests for the branches to be considered for incorporation.

I am not convinced that the original Table of Contents and content is suitable for our current work, but that is up to the committee to decide so I just converted most of it to XML.

What I did not convert to XML:
- authored page number references (if we need the reference it will be changed to a hyperlink)
 - schema diagrams (do we really need them? personally I think not)

Given our anticipated objective to create an ISO-acceptable work product, many things will need to be restructured (such as introductory and non-normative text). Normative and non-normative references need to be reviewed.

So, a lot of work has to be done, but the foundation exists now to move forward so that the XML can be automatically published into both layouts. Now we just have to replace the content with what we need.

Oh ... there is a requirements document in the original publication directory (copied as "cs01/" in the repository). I think we need to review that and see if we need it or if it can go in an annex of the main document so that we no longer have two documents. I'll convert that to XML when we make the decision.

We are in a position now to do a lot of automated publishing, such as marking rules semantically in the DocBook and harvesting summary indexes of them. I did this in the Business Document NDR publication where I harvested a summary of semantic constructs into an annex entity file "...-summary.ent":

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/Business-Document-NDR/v1.1/csd03/

Now it is up to our imagination.

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/ |