Subject: Observations of the editing process underway

Fellow Code List Representation TC members,

At today's meeting I committed to having something ready for the end of the weekend, and moving to the next step of the editing (the rules), I've discovered this is not going to be the case.

For reference, I'm working from the file uploaded to the server as genericode 1.0 CS01:

https://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/cs-genericode-1.0/doc/

              oasis-code-list-representation-genericode.pdf

For an example, consider the explicit rule R39 for ShortName on page 57. Looking in the conformance summary of rules on page 62 one can see the same rule R39. But looking in advance of that in the summary of rules on page 62, one sees rules R38 and R37 that are not explicitly marked up on page 57. Under "Rules:" the first two paragraphs are for rule R37 and the third is for R38.

I have to make these explicit in the body, individually, finding and changing all of the implicitly numbered rules by hand instead of by search/replace.

Next, all references in the document are by page numbers, not hyperlinks, so I have to change all of those. The HTML preserves the page numbers and so has no value.

Next, I'm finding spurious section numbers: page 19 has section 7.2.1 between sections 3.4 and 3.5. There may be others.

I suppose I'm writing this just to vent, because there isn't a way I can get help on editing these because the issues are all interleaved, I just have to work my way through them all. But it is going to put a burden on all members to help with review (and it was obvious when I was a member of this committee that I didn't review the document very well at the time!).

I am going to be able to automate the rules gathering now that the content is in XML. This will help ensure consistency between the body and the summary.

But there is no way I'm going to have a review copy ready for Monday, let alone for next week, and for that I apologize for making the commitment before performing a more thorough investigation. Hopefully I will have pulled things together for our meeting two weeks from today.

Thank you for your patience.

Have a great weekend!

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/ |