Subject: Minutes for Code List Representation TC call 22 October 2021 14:00 UTC

Minutes for Code List Representation TC call
22 October 2021 - 9:00 MSP/10:00 Ottawa/14:00 UTC/16:00 Central Europe
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=2021-10-22T14:00:00

Conferencing info
-------------------------
Meeting ID: 878 5955 1232

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87859551232
Password is needed and sent separately, if you do not have it please send an email to the chair

TC Members presence and status at this meeting
See https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=codelist

TC Members presence and status at this meeting
See https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=codelist

Pres. Name Organization Status
(X) Kenneth Bengtsson Individual Member
(P) Erlend Klakegg Bergheim The Norwegian Agency for Public and Financial Management (DFO) Voting Member
(P) James Cabral
InfoTrack US
Voting Member
(P) Andrea Caccia (chair) Individual Voting Member
(X) Ger Clancy IBM Persistent non-voting Member
(X) Jim Harris National Center for State Courts Member
(P) Ken Holman Crane Softwrights Ltd. Voting Member
(P) Natalie Muric Publications Office of the European Union Voting Member
(X) Levine Naidoo IBM Persistent non-voting Member

Presence legend (X):
(P)=Present
(A)=Absent
(R)=Regrets
(L)=Leave of absence

TC Members possibly gaining voting rights after this meeting
None

TC Members possibly loosing voting rights
after this meeting

None

Review of last call minutes

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist/202110/msg00002.html
Approved.

Confirmation of Meeting Schedule

  • 2021-11-05: 10:00MSP/11:00Ottawa/15:00UTC/16:00Europe
  • 2021-11-19: 09:00MSP/10:00Ottawa/15:00UTC/16:00Europe
  • 2021-12-03: 09:00MSP/10:00Ottawa/15:00UTC/16:00Europe
  • 2021-12-17: 09:00MSP/10:00Ottawa/15:00UTC/16:00Europe
Times marked in red are different from usual scheduling due to daylight saving time changes occurring.

TC Deliverables planning
-----------------------------------
Agreed that we first should focus on the first two deliverables:
- a semantic model / meta-model of genericode
- an XML serialization of the genericode semantic model, with the intent of backward compatibility (or even no changes) to the existing genericode
We need to look into how to express the semantic model of the existing markup vocabulary. What technologies should we look at and use?
Further discussion is needed.

Semantic model / meta-model
James volunteered for start looking into the  "semantic model / meta-model of genericode" topic and assessing if the fit of the metamodel to current Genericode specification.
The NIEM metamodel should be analysed,
Git repository:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/email/archives/202105/msg00004.html
Proposed extensions to the NIEM metamodel to support genericode features such as multiple columns and keys with mocked up example based on nc:LanguageCode that introduces 3 new elements to the NIEM metamodel, for discussion:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist/202106/msg00005.html

Ken observed the following about the metamodel in light of the work being done in JSON:
- it may be premature to continue work on the metamodel until we determine its utility in light of our earlier decision on JSON
- earlier it was decided that the JSON syntax is only a demonstration subset of genericode so that users can tailor the JSON to their own needs
- if we aren't going to create the entire genericode in JSON, what is the use of a metamodel?
- already proposals are made to have different names in the JSON than in the XSD, so what would we have to do in the metamodel to identify semantics that are labeled differently in the two syntaxes
- Ken proposed to suspend the metamodel preserving the work done so far and put our efforts into a parallel subset JSON and other responsibilities on the project
This was agreed at the 30 July 2021 meeting.

Genericode document editing

A ticket was requested to OASIS:

OASIS sent requests to make some editorial changes, Ken volunteers for taking care of that before the next meeting.
Agreed to review the changes and confirm during the meeting the editorial nature of the changes and, in case, to confirm to progress with public review as approved already.

Use or potential use of Genericode
------------------------------------
----------
A question was raised to check about interest on having JSON serialization of genericode.
Possible users to reach:
- ISO RAs
- source authorities listed in the ICD list based on ISO/IEC 6523
- EU CEF

Use of Code lists by OpenPEPPOL was spotted by Ken:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/email/archives/202105/msg00006.html
They publish code lists both in XML and JSON and also using genericode.

Use of genericode by the European Commission was identified with electronic invoicing:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/email/archives/202105/msg00007.html

The EU Publication Office is using genericode:
https://op.europa.eu/en/web/eu-vocabularies/e-procurement/tables

The OASIS LegalXML Electronic Court Filing specifications v4 and v5 use genericode.
ECF v4 is widely adopted among US state courts.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/legalxml-courtfiling/ecf/v5.0/cs01/schema/

Ken started a poll to gather input from potential stakeholders to investigate on use of JSON with Genericode:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/email/archives/202105/msg00012.html

According to the results reported until June 14th meeting minutes, JSON is used for internal use and not for publication.
It was also observed that any JSON serialization would not be able to address XML features such as annotations and custom complex values in columns.

The revision activities for ISO/IEC 6523 also started (ISO/IEC AWI 6523-1 and ISO/IEC AWI 6523-2) with potential use of genericode can be foreseen for the publication of the ICD list by the ISO/IEC 6523 RA.

Other Business
As come forward.