coel message

Subject: COEL specification description

One of my outstanding actions is to re-consider the description of our work and its wider relevance. My first attempt is below:

The OASIS COEL specification provides a privacy-by-design framework for the collection and processing of behavioural data.

It is uniquely suited to the transparent use of dynamic data for personalised digital services, IoT applications where devices are collecting information about identifiable individuals and the coding of behavioural data in identity solutions.

The specification pseudonymises personal data at source (IDA) and maintains a separation of different data types with clearly defined roles & responsibilities (RPE) for all actors.

All behavioural data are defined as event-based packets (BAP). Every packet is connected directly to an individual and can contain a summary of the consent they provided for the processing of the data.

A combination of a taxonomy of all human behaviours (COEL) and the event-based protocol provide a universal template for data portability. While simple interface specifications (MMI & PQI) give system-level interoperability.

Regards

Joss

Current description for reference:

What are the Classification of Everyday Living specifications and why are they important?

Digital technologies are becoming more and more integrated into our daily lives. They promise huge benefits to society, but the data they create carries potential for abuse.

COEL is a hierarchical taxonomy of everyday human life events, comprised of a Knowledge Base, Data Model and Methodology. It aims to be a roadmap for collecting and handling personal data that protects the interests of both individuals and businesses.

Classification of Everyday Living V1.0 provides an overview of the specification and defines the model of the hierarchical taxonomy.

Roles, Principles, and Ecosystem V1.0 describes the roles of the various actors and principles of a COEL ecosystem.

Behavioural Atom Protocol V1.0 defines a protocol for data exchanges that are capable of describing, querying and reporting a human activity event (Behavioural Atom) using the COEL model classification.

Minimal Management Interface V1.0 describes the minimal interface between a Data Engine and other actors in the ecosystem.

Identity Authority Interface V1.0 defines the interface protocol for an Identity Authority (IDA). The IDA is a central web-based service that statelessly provides unique, signed Pseudonymous Keys.

Public Query Interface describes the minimum synchronous query interface that must be provided by a Data Engine.

Joss Langford

Activinsights | Technical Director

+44 (0)1392 247131 | +44 (0) 7712 886208

www.activinsights.com | www.geneactiv.org

Important Information:  The contents of this email are intended for the named addresses only and contain information which is confidential and which may also be privileged.  Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy, use it, or disclose it to anyone else.  If you received it in error, please notify us immediately at info@geneactiv.co.uk and then destroy it.  Further, whilst we make efforts to keep our network free from computer viruses, etc., you do need to check this email and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no responsibility for any viruses which might be transferred by way of this email.

Activinsights Limited, 6 Nene Road, Bicton Industrial Park, Kimbolton, Cambs, PE28 0LF, UK.  A company registered in England & Wales. Registered number: 6576069