coel message

Subject: FW: [coel] FW: OASIS Editor's Manual -- Request for Feedback

--

Take care:

    Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >

    Senior Research Fellow / Fujitsu Distinguished Engineer

    Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Ltd.

    +44-7590-293439 (Mobile)

FIG Berlin small banner_revised

From: matt Reed [mailto:matt.reed.uk@gmail.com]
Sent: 25 April 2017 20:16
To: Snelling, David <david.snelling@uk.fujitsu.com>
Cc: coel@lists.oasis-open.org

Some first thoughts:

[1] A single coherent document is a good endpoint, but splitting this into individual pieces at the start was a good "divide and rule" tactic as it kept track changes managable and different folks on the TC, with different levels of expertise and interest in the different parts, could "hold the pen" for the individual pieces. The merge allowed anotehr level of review on overall coherence.

[2] Having a "best practice" final structure was a real help - we used the TOSCA YAML but perhaps there are others. Perhaps OASIS has only 3 or 4 different types of specification so a new TC could use the best practice document that was closest to their expected needs.

[3] Weekly calls help drive progress (this feels like an agile approach - the artefact is the work in progress, no prep or update presentations, keep managing the backlog on the issues log).

[4] Having a clear idiots guide to what normative means and how to segment normative from non-normative material would help.

[5] Having a specification "mentor" for the TC from OASIS itself would help - although the TC must own the content and technical specs, a mentor could help guide the process of creation and editing.

Best wishes

Matt