courtfiling-doc message

Subject: RE: [courtfiling-doc] Breaking Court Document out of Court Filing

Title: RE: [courtfiling-doc] Breaking Court Document out of Court Filing

All:

If a proposal is made to revise the Court Filing TC charter to separate Court Document out and make it a separate TC, I suggest that rather than Court Filing TC members justifying the current charter where Court Document is part of it, the opposite needs to occur -- those proposing to separate Court Document from Court Filing need to make the case for doing so.

I do agree with Diane's statement that "close identification" between the groups has not been observed.  However, I view this as an issue to be addressed within the TC, not a reason to separate Court Document from Court Filing.  From my point of view as to what is needed for our electronic filing project (which I believe will also be needed for others), we need both a Court Filing standard and a Court Document standard, or possibly one standard that covers both.  The Court Document standard needs to include all the data tags that we need in order to process e-filed documents; in other words, it needs to include tags for all of the data that our staff currently keys into various CMS/DMS systems -- this is at a more detailed level than those included in the ECF 1.1 standard, which might be enough to get a document into the case file, but does not include tags for all of the additional data that we enter in various systems for various document types.  Until that level of detailed data tags are included, we will not be able to reach the ultimate goal of fully automating the processing of electronically filed documents, at least not in a large court of general jurisdiction like ours where we have multiple systems where data is entered today, and new ones being developed all the time.  It will take time to identify all of the needed tags, but I think we can get there.  The current Court Document standard is a good starting point that can be built upon for specific document types.

My view of the purpose of the Court Document standard is that it is to tag the data used by the clerk and/or court, the data that is of use to practitioners for their own purposes, as well as for other purposes such as electronic service, etc.  I do not feel that those members of the TC interested in Court Document should need to participate in a separate TC to ensure that the Court Document standard meets our needs; the additional time to attend meetings of multiple TCs is something that would be very difficult for many of us to do.  At this point, I strongly oppose separating Court Document out of the Court Filing TC.  My primary concern is that there would be even less identification with the Court Filing TC as a whole than there has been in the past.  Unless someone makes a strong case for doing so, I would be voting that I cannot live with a proposal to separate Court Document from Court Filing.

Thanks,

Catherine Krause
E-Filing Project Manager
King County Department of Judicial Administration
(206)296-7860
catherine.krause@metrokc.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Diane.Lewis@usdoj.gov [mailto:Diane.Lewis@usdoj.gov]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 8:53 AM
To: 'courtfiling-doc@lists.oasis-open.org'; 'Roger.Winters@METROKC.GOV'

thanks Roger for quick response,

i would suggest that the Court Filing stakeholders who have an interest in XML court document standard consider joining a separate Court Document TC ....

i have not seen demonstrated at the Court Filing meetings the "close identification" between the two at the meetings i have attended.....  the last set of meeting notes to my mind indicate the opposite... that the court filing envelope /transmission capability takes any BLOB... not exclusively a document that authored/created based on XML technologies/standards.

i would welcome a list of reasons from you and/or other ECF stakeholders as to why the document/filing components should remain in tandum....

diane