courtfiling-process message

Subject: RE: [courtfiling-process] Security of court orders

I don't know which one was used but FIPS 180-1 was referenced in the court managment published specifications. And 198 was only recently released.

I would hope that it is possible to go forward with both. 180-1 for the signature and 198 for the instance (message) or just 198 if it can accomplish both.

JA

180-1
Secure Hash Standard (SHS) -- 95 Apr 17
- To specify a Secure Hash Algorithm to be used by both the transmitter and intended receiver of a message in computing and verifying a digital signature.

198
The Keyed-Hash Message Authentication Code (HMAC), 2002 March.
-This standard describes a keyed-hash message authentication code (HMAC), a mechanism for message authentication using cryptographic hash functions. HMAC can be used with any iterative Approved cryptographic hash function, in combination with a shared secret key. The cryptographic strength of HMAC depends on the properties of the underlying hash function. The HMAC specification in this standard is a generalization of Internet RFC 2104, HMAC, Keyed-Hashing for Message Authentication, and ANSI X9.71, Keyed Hash Message Authentication Code.
            http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips198/fips-198a.pdf
-----Original Message-----
From: Poindexter, Gary W (BearingPoint) [mailto:gpoindexter@bearingpoint.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 5:27 AM
To: 'jkeane'; jmessing@law-on-line.com; 'Gilliam, Charles'; 'John Greacen'; 'Efiling Process Models Subcommittee'
Cc: 'Michael Greenwood (E-mail)'; 'Robert Borochoff (E-mail)'

The "hash total" to which Jim refers is an electronic signature. It allows others to validate that document/file content is as produced (i.e. not modified in any way) without unnecessarily encrypting the document/file content. It's like a big checksum that requires a key for generation. A key is required to calculate the electronic signature. This works when:

1) Those who must validate the document content as being authentic have access to a key
2) Those who must validate the document content as being authentic have access to the author's generated electronic signature for each document for comparison to the key attached to the file. For very large documents this can be much more efficient than securing a key or key pair or constantly downloading copies of the original document.

gary