courtfiling-reqts message

Subject: P2 -Comments on the requirements document dated April 4, 2005. This is part one

Eric et all,

Here are my comments on the requirements document dated April 4, 2005. This is part one of two parts to my response.

·         711 -- I belief we need to put the definition of a major design element here.  A major design element (MDE) is an abstract part of the LegalXML system.  It is specifically framed to not to be a specific direction on the implementation of the system.  It is designed to show the interactions and communications required to fulfill the targeted functionality.  A synonym often used for this in some use case methodologies is component.  However, as subsequent efforts within the community migrate into implementation component will often become an overloaded term.  We have chosen to avoid this overloading by using the MDE terminology.

·         722 -- As mentioned in my earlier e-mail you need to be clear that court, both court staff and judges may be filer's within the system.  We need to keep this in front of them because it is often overlooked.  We should also point out the likely use of this interface by the integrated justice community.  This would include, prosecutors, law enforcement, parole and probation in the prison system just to name a few.

·         741 -- There is no minimum guarantee he unless it is received by the court.  So we need to be a little clearer on this.

·         751 -- The wording on this seems awkward.  The meaning is correct but the wording may lead one to believe that the filer has the power to review which is not the intent.  You may want to say that the interaction is limited to posting the filing to the clerk review MDE.

·         754 -- in the sequence beginning here it does not show an interaction with the filing fee arena including the payment activities.  A sure you want to leave that gap?

·         780 -- If the communication is received, then it has been received.  It should be receded as received.  If received but not formally processed that should be communicated.  We need to get the boundary between receipt, acceptance, and rejection that is crystal clear.

·         4.1 in general -- the whole area of fees and payments is missing here.  I'm a bit concerned.

·         4 .4 .4 through 4.4.6 -- Define the behavior when a document within a case is sealed and may be hidden from the docket itself, visible to the docket but unnamed and unretrievable, visible in the docket named the and unretrievable.

This is the end of my comments.  Thank you for all your hard work.  I look forward to working with you on the specifications.

Regards,

Don

Donald L. Bergeron
Systems Designer