courtfiling-reqts message

Subject: Comments on non-functional requirements

I have the following comments on wd-LegalXML-Requirements-08 (April 4, 2005).

Same caveats as my previous posting...if any of these comments are contrary to consensus reached on the subcommittee, please let me know and I will either revise or withdraw them. (I have tried to go through all the material available, but won't claim to have absorbed everything!)

1640: We should restate this as a requirement, not a rejection of a particular implementation technique (in any case, "electronic messaging layer of a transmission" is not precise enough or well-defined enough to be normative.) What is the intent?

1656: ...when they left the sender's control

1656: Is the rationale behind the recommendation documented in emails on one of the lists, or minutes from a meeting? In my view, this is something that the TC should decide.

1658ff: I thought we had decided to take this out, since asynchronicity of messages, where applicable, would be reflected in the use cases. Am I not remembering this correctly?

1667: Including a message structure definition is outside the scope of what I have traditionally seen non-functional requirements cover. I would suggest creating a new section of the document to hold message structure definitions.

1670 (thereabouts): I don't think data definitions should say where they are used. Let the use cases indicate where messages are used.

1711: What is meant by the qualifier "theoretically"?

1732ff: Aren't requirements 6.13 and 6.14 covered by 6.7 and 6.5?

1738ff: More context is needed here before this can be part of a normative specification.

1769ff: The term "directory" could be construed as implying certain implementation techniques (as discussed in a previous thread). I would like to see this turned into a use case, in which MDEs are actors with the goal of discovering information (location and otherwise) about other MDEs. The use case could then be implemented by a UDDI registry implementation, or something else.

1791: What is meant by "following" GJXDM?

Thanks.
--Scott

Scott Came
Principal Consultant