csaf-comment message

Subject: RE: [csaf-comment] Re: CSAF support from vendors

Dear Mr. Mendes,

currently, there is no public list of all issuing parties (as also coordinators like BSI, CISA, CERT/CC,... or security researchers could publish CSAF documents). BSI is in the process of creating a publicly available CSAF lister. (However, nobody guarantees completeness of such a list.)

The TC encourages all issuing parties to publicly announce when they support CSAF. From my personal experience, vendors tend to start producing CSAF before publicly announcing that.

Maybe, I'm missing something here, but I didn't get the following sentence:
> I saw that the standard contemplates a provider-metadata.json for aggregators to be contemplated at the security.txt, but as the field for this security.txt is a proposal I wonder, if no such space exist, would it be possible to create it?

A CSAF aggregator or lister does not have a provider-metadata.json. Nevertheless, the specification defines in section 7.3.1 a mechanism to detect a provider-metadata.json (https://docs.oasis-open.org/csaf/csaf/v2.0/csaf-v2.0.html#731-finding-provider-metadatajson). There is also an open source tool available to do that: https://github.com/csaf-poc/csaf_distribution#csaf_checker Basically, it tests whether it is able to detect a CSAF trusted provider at a given domain.

Kind regards,
Thomas Schmidt

--
Thomas Schmidt