Subject: HTTP scheme URIs for namespace identifiers

On namespace identitiers: I spotted a new CSAF TC JIRA ticket [1] with description "define targetNamespace, schemaLocation and namespace for CVRF 1.2".  I realized that a couple of the resources cited do not adequately explain the mechanics involved in implementation and use of HTTP scheme URIs.  Identifiers based on URNs are still allowed, but most OASIS Technical Committees now prefer HTTP scheme URIs.

Here's a clearer explanation than what I penned in Naming Directives:

=======================================
I. Example: OASIS TOSCA Version 1.0
=======================================

a) Look at the Work Product cover page
Topology and Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications Version 1.0
http://docs.oasis-open.org/tosca/TOSCA/v1.0/os/TOSCA-v1.0-os.html

b) Note on the cover page:

Declared XML namespace:
 http://docs.oasis-open.org/tosca/ns/2011/12

c) dereference that URI reference: it yields the namespace document which documents the namespace (the specification, provenance, related assets or components)
  "XML Namespace Document for TOSCA Version 1.0"

Other examples from other OASIS TCs are provided below [II]

Further, I should clarify again that OASIS does not have any plans to develop and support an online resolution system (or complete catalogs) for URNs, as was anticipated in 2001 [2]

====================
II. Other examples
====================

OASIS "OData Version 4.0"
Namespace identifiers
http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/ns/edm
http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/ns/edmx

OASIS Business Document Envelope Version 1.1
Namespace identifiers
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bdxr/ns/bde/1.0/Envelope
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bdxr/ns/bde/1.0/AggregateComponents
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bdxr/ns/bde/1.0/BasicComponents
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bdxr/ns/bde/1.0/ExtensionComponents
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bdxr/ns/bde/1.0/QualifiedDataTypes
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bdxr/ns/bde/1.0/UnqualifiedDataTypes

OASIS Biometric Identity Assurance Services (BIAS) SOAP Profile Version 2.0
Declared XML namespaces:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bioserv/ns/bias-2.0
http://docs.oasis-open.org/bioserv/ns/biaspatronformat-2.0

OASIS OBIX Version 1.1
Declared XML namespaces:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/obix/ns/201506
http://docs.oasis-open.org/obix/ns/201506/schema/obix

Cheers,
Robin Cover

======= Refs

[1] JIRA ticket
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/CSAF-19
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/csaf/201701/msg00015.html

Stefan Hagen comment: "Couldn't we express our namespace as not URN? In my experience the automatic future routing promises of URNs rarely became fulfilled (compared to URL et al.) and I personally would always prefer a "de-refernce able" URL so the implementers and operators can once download everything, validate against their policies, and refer to these schema facts for further operation."

[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3121

with earlier note

Document 2009-08-01 "Filenames, URIs, Namespaces"

URN-based namespaces are also allowed, but HTTP scheme namespace URIs are to be preferred because their resolution is supported by standard, ubiquitous DNS+HTTP methods; TCs should be aware that OASIS has no current plans to implement the online resolution system for URNs referenced in IETF RFC 3121

--
Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services