Subject: Re: CVRF/CSAF "awareness & adoption"

That’s a really really good point! The more we communicate adoption and real-world use cases the better. The VEX use case of CSAF will definitely be front center for most vendors.

From: csaf@lists.oasis-open.org <csaf@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of duncan sfractal.com <duncan@sfractal.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 12:54 PM
To: csaf@lists.oasis-open.org <csaf@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [csaf] CVRF/CSAF "awareness & adoption"

I think some discussion of “awareness & adoption”  would be useful. Not holding anyone to commitments but companies sharing their current use and future plans wrt both CVRF and CSAF would be useful. In other meetings (eg CISA SBOM meetings), some people downplay CSAF adoption (“it will take years before VEX profile is used”, “no one uses CVRF”, “there are no tools”,  …) and it would help to have some data to counter misconceptions.

I know we get a few statements-of-use prior to passing the standard, but now that CSAF is adopted it might be useful to make more noise on planned use. Given we are now inside the 270-day clock on US Federal procurement requiring SBOMs, I suspect CSAF/VEX usage will take off. But that’s speculation on my part – actual companies making non-binding statements (keep the lawyers happy) on what they are already doing and what are their plans will carry a lot more weight than my speculation.

--

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize