Subject: Re: [csaf] Re: Data on Use of CSAF VEX profile

Omar,

Thanks for pointing out that blog post. We've since published another one that talks about our intent on publishing per-CVE VEX in addition to the per-advisory VEX files we already publish today. Find out more here:

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/future-red-hat-security-data

The blog post also outlines how data combined from SBOM and VEX files can be used for more accurate vulnerability assertions across our entire product portfolio instead of only supporting the RPM-based products that are covered by OVAL today.

We have found the OpenVEX format to not be sufficiently expressive in how it specifies products (its focus seems to be more on upstream packages alone) and their relationships to components. CSAF is a much more comprehensive standard albeit with a bit more complexity attached. I'm not aware of any other standardized formats for VEX data.

Cheers,

--
Martin PrpiÄ / Red Hat Product Security