cti-comment message

Subject: Re: [EXT] Fwd: FW: Comments for PR of TAXII 2.1

Bret, thanks. That is absolutely fine. Also, interesting note on lining things up for future versions. If you have a purpose for the way you are doing it, by all means carry on.Â

/chet

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 1:07 PM Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com> wrote:

Chet / Jacques,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Since these came outside the public 30-dayÂwindow, I would prefer to not formally accept and trackÂthem. However, I will try and address some of them in the next working draft and subsequent public review. Then if they are not addressed to your satisfaction, you can resubmit during the 2nd public review period. Would this be deemed an acceptable compromise? Also, please note that the conformance section has not changed at all since TAXII 2.0 CS 01 and the public review of TAXII 2.0.Â

If I may,ÂI would like to generally addressÂsome of the comments. I think there is a balance between readability and organization of a specification standard. I agree with some of the guidelines that were called out, but I also think some flexibility needs to exist on a case by case basis. For example, yes, there is part of the conformance that reads more like prose text given the normative statements. We had tried unsuccessfully in the past (early TAXII 2.0 timeframe) to include them in the main parts of the document. But to make them clear, it proved to be overly complicated and required a lot more prose text. Therefore we purposefully moved them to the conformance section and it greatly simplified things and thus IMOÂmade things more clear.Â

Part of the confusion also stems from the fact that we identified conformance levels that will enable future conformance levels without a complete restructuringÂof the conformance section. Meaning, we know where this specification is going to be 2-5 versions from now, and we wanted to start calling out elements specifically as they exist today. So you have the idea of a TAXII Collections server as an option, which is a specific version of a TAXII Server. In the future there will be other TAXII Server Types that will flesh out this conformance section and cause divergent elements to exist. By calling things what they are now, it prevents changes to terminologyÂlater on, which I am trying to avoid as that just confuses the market.Â

So what I am trying to say is, most all of the decision about the conformance section and the language in it, was done purposefully and specifically to address certain problems or issues.

Bret

From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:49:39 AM
To: Bret Jordan; cti-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: OASIS TAB; Jacques Durand
Subject: [EXT] Fwd: FW: Comments for PR of TAXII 2.1
Bret, and members of the CTI TC, please accept our apologies for missing the deadline. As you can see below, Jacques realized this arrives late but wants to share the feedback all the same.Â

As these comments are arriving after the close of the public review period and after your announcement Bret that no comments were received, accepting and addressing them is yourÂcall. If you find them helpful, by all means, follow up.Â

Again, apologies for the late arrival and regardless, congratulations on advancing TAXIIÂv2.1 so expeditiously.Â

Best,Â

/chet