Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Re: CybOX 3.0: HashType Refactoring

On 03.11.2015 15:32:09, Kirillov, Ivan A. wrote:
> Yes, I absolutely agree on the utility of enumerations, and I
> probably should have clarified my point accordingly. Anyhow, my
> thought is that the “type” field in HashType should NOT be
> implemented through a controlled vocabulary but should instead yse a
> fixed enumeration that is defined as part of the CybOX 3.0
> specification:
>

> “type": {
>             "enum": [ “md5", “md5", “sha1”, “sha256”, etc.  ]}

To Ivan's point, what we're currently focusing on for CybOX 3.0 is
refactoring a *core* set of objects. Cf. the previous discussion
around the IP address object, while I suspect that we'll see new
cryptographic hashing algorithms well before we bump into IPv8, the
pace of development isn't happening at lightspeed either.

Mark raised a good point earlier about trying to avoid rampant use of
controlled vocabularies and enforcing an MTI where they are used. To
me, controlled vocabularies add most value (at the cost of added
complexity for the implementer!) with objects that are likely to
evolve quickly. I would argue that these are out of scope for our
current focus on refactoring core CybOX primitives.

QED, I think it makes sense to define a simple enum of the most common
types, allow for an 'other' override in case somebody wants to use
SuperCyberQuantumCryptoHash, and if/when other algorithms come into
widespread use, we can extend the core enum in a future revision of
CybOX.

--
Cheers,
Trey