Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [cti-cybox] Network Connection Object Refactoring

Here are suggested changes to the Network_Connection object refactoring that I have seen:

1) Rather than have Source_Country_Code and Destination_Country_Code as an extension, create a top-level Location Object to capture such information for any object.

2) Rename the Tx_Bytes and Rx_Bytes elements to Source_Bytes and Destination_Bytes.

3) Treat most traits as extensions, including port and ICMP type/code to avoid confusion over what defines a “basic” attribute and to allow flexibility to support any network protocol.

4) Provide examples of Layers 1 and 2 being represented by the refactored Network_Connection object.

5) The refactored Network_Connection object must be able to represent a network connection at any layer, and must be able to support protocols such as TCP/IP which do not strictly follow separation of Layers 3 and 4.

Eoghan Casey
Chief Scientist
Defense Cyber Crime Center (DC3)
410-694-4329
Eoghan.Casey@dc3.mil

-----Original Message-----
From: cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Jason Keirstead
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 6:56 PM
To: Kirillov, Ivan A.
Cc: cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org

There was a substantial amount of feedback on this proposal on Slack a few weeks ago... many of which aren't captured.

Can this be re-posted somewhere we can comment directly on it, such as Google Docs? It would greatly help the discussion.

I don't really want to re-hash all of my slack chat comments over email (or on the phone)... but I can do that if needed...

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Kirillov, Ivan A." ---02/15/2016 05:35:27 PM---All, Here is a community contributed proposal around "Kirillov, Ivan A." ---02/15/2016 05:35:27 PM---All, Here is a community contributed proposal around refactoring the Network Connection Object and r