Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX Objects/Relationships

A reason I’d hesitate is, like internationalization, for such a major topic I’d be worried about designing ourselves into a corner and precluding us from doing something in 3.1+ based on decisions we make for 3.0. Switching from embedding to using relationships would be a major change and so, for example on the network connection object, it would be hard to not make the decision now.

From: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 10:55 PM
To: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@cosive.com>
Cc: "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>, Ivan Kirillov <ikirillov@mitre.org>

"We had no standard way of sharing the fact we had received bad emails that contained a zip that contained a malicious PDF."

What I am saying is, is there actual evidence that simply sharing this as 3 observations is not "good enough" for MVP. Why does it matter at the end of the day, for matching purposes, if these are linked together. In most scenarios it wouldn't matter... I'll normally be looking for the malware, not the email it was sent in (which would be constantly morphing)

Yes, we can concoct scenarios where it would matter... but, are they likely to be used, and thus required for mvp? Consider, STIX 1.X has no such relations.

Sent from IBM Verse

Terry MacDonald --- Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX Objects/Relationships ---