Subject: Draft mission statement for the CybOX standard - please comment by COB Friday 15 April

Hi, all -

There's been an enormous amount of discussion over the past several
weeks regarding what CybOX should be and where the tearline is with
other standards that leverage CybOX. It seems like that old familiar
situation we find ourselves in so often, talking past one another in
more-or-less violent agreement.

This week Ivan and I put our heads together and came up with the
following mission statement for CybOX:

<snip>
CybOX is a library of standard type definitions for the representation
and interchange of metadata related to artifacts of computational
systems, used by STIX and other standards.
</snip>

In general, mission statements tend to be touchy-feely BS, but in this
case we felt like having a clear mission statement would effectively
put a stake in the ground and end a lot of the fruitless circular
discussions that have plagued us lately.

We discussed the draft mission statement during yesterday's CybOX SC
working call and there appeared to be complete consensus that this was
a positive move. Our plan is to open a TC ballot measure to
(hopefully) once and for all nail down a clear definition for what
CybOX is.

There were a few comments about the phrase "artifacts of computational
systems". Since we already anticipate tackling a diverse set of use
cases in future and there are surely many "unknown unknowns" lying
ahead as well, we struggled mightily to come up with that phrasing.
(The obvious and utterly ridiculous alternative we were trying to
avoid was "cyber stuff".)

The consensus coming out of yesterday's working call was that the
current language is good enough and that we should put it to a TC
vote.

If you have major issues with the draft language for the CybOX mission
statement, please speak up today. Otherwise, we'll move to open a
ballot on Monday 18 April.

--
Cheers,
Trey