cti-interoperability message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] [cti-interoperability] Motion for Open Repository for CTI Interop Issue Tracking

John-Mark - As I shared with Greg privately and sharing for the group.

STIXPreferred is a certification program intended to be open to non-TC members and TC-members alike.

So although the interop test documents are work products of the TC, they will be used by the non-TC members to certify their products. We want feedback on that program as a whole and using the open repo to track issues is one possibility.

Secondly, test programs and test data used in future interop tests will be available via this repo (hopefully) and again it would be good to have the option of non-TC members contributing updates/fixes to that data the repo holds.

There might be other STIXPreferred content we want to publish and get feedback on via the repo that would suggest an open policy is better.

I said to Greg that on balance I understand the issue around IPR for interop contributions vs non-member contributions to help the certification program prosper. My preference is to keep the repo open as I think the likelihood of IPR being an issue for interoperability is low (not zero but low). If someone submits content that will likely cause IPR conflicts then I suggest we would deal with that when it happens.

If others think that this will cause a significant problem with IPR conflicts then please speak up.

Allan Thomson
CTO (+1-408-331-6646)
LookingGlass Cyber Solutions <http://www.lookingglasscyber.com/>

On 5/23/18, 5:05 PM, "John-Mark Gurney" <jmg@newcontext.com> wrote:

    Back, Greg wrote this message on Wed, May 23, 2018 at 21:58 +0000:
    > I’m fine with either, but I’ll point out that a motion to create an open repo is very different from a motion to create a TC repo. Based on what Allan is saying in the purpose statement, it’s probably more suitable as a TC repo [1], using this form [2]. Again, I would be in support of either one, though.

    If there is no code in the repo, then I'm fine w/ an Open repo.

    If there will be "code" (i.e. contents in git), then I will agree w/
    this should be a TC repo instead.  Due to how our business agreements
    are structured, I cannot contribute "code" to an open repo.  I do read
    this as I'm fine contributing to issues of an open repo.

    Isn't there a document that people who provide feed back via the
    public comment period have to sign when submitting responses?
    Sounds like that could help in this situation.

    --
    John-Mark