cti-interoperability message

Subject: Re: [cti-interoperability] Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] [cti-interoperability] Motion for Open Repository for CTI Interop Issue Tracking

Given that we have different opinions on whether this should be an open repo vs tc repo we do *not* have unanimous consent for opening ‘a’ repo.

I will hold off submitting any request until we have a clear decision on what kind of repo it needs to be.

Allan

From: "robin@oasis-open.org" <robin@oasis-open.org>
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 7:02 AM
To: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Cc: John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>, "Back, Greg" <gback@mitre.org>, Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, Interoperability Subcommittee <cti-interoperability@lists.oasis-open.org>

On Allan's draft proposal/motion to create a new public GitHub repository [3], I've tracked with comments from the TC members (Bret, John-Mark, Greg, Jason, Jane) and sense that the TC has a good understanding of the trade-offs between an OAIS TC Open Repository (open source licensing, anyone can contribute) versus a GitHub repository (primarily) for CTI TC members' use.   I have written commentary on the key differences [1]

So I reported to Allan Thomson (and Richard Struse) that we will create a public GitHub repo of either type (or more than one new repositry, if warranted), with the claim that "they both can work just fine", given that we configure the GitHub repos with Issues turned on, etc

A couple additional thoughts to perhaps help lower the stakes

1) We use stock (boilerplate) language in the README and CONTRIBUTING startup files, but in a case like this, we are happy to supplement the text -- with your recommendations -- to make clear for users and potential users what the goals/purposes are, and whak kinds of contributions are anticipated, and how anyone can "participate" within the expectations.  Allan's draft purpose statement ("A CTI-Interoperability issue tracking repository") can be expanded to clarify further..

2) While we use words like "code" and "contribute" and "participate" in our rules and startup files -- sometimes following GitHub's definitions, which are not entirely precise or consistent, we acknowledge that the repository Maintainers will always need to exercise some judgment about whether and how to use content that is expressed in a GitHub Issue, Pull Request, Comment, Gist, Wiki page (etc) -- since indeed anyone with a GitHub account can create and link to such content.  Most content that everyone recognizes as "code" can be expressed in any of the above-mentioned ways.  While some organizations have attempted to support clear binary distinction between "code" and non-code" [2], we don't try, because the definitions are too difficult to formulate and applications too difficult to enforce.  People mean different things by: (repository "Code"), "contributions", "substantive contributions", "code commits", "editorial changes"...

3) I'm happy to discuss (maybe best on a phone call, if needed, and Chet Ensign could join) some other considerations, but would encourage adoption of the hypothesis that either repo type might work OK, with constraints that are common to all public open source projects, at OASIS and elsewhere, requiring that some kinds of input merit formal declaration of the user's agreement (e.g., in a CLA) and other kinds of "non-substantive, editorial" content changes do not.  Every open source project I have seen faces these same challenges.  Viz.,

- Robin

[1] OASIS TC Open (Source) Repositories versus Repositories for TC Members' Chartered Work

[2] "code" versys not-code (one example)

Code Components which may be found in IETF Contributions and IETF Documents

IESG Statement on Copyright

In addition to the code component types listed, any text found between the markers <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS> shall be considered a code component. Authors may wish to use these markers as clear delimiters of code components.

[3] "Motion for Open Repository for CTI Interop Issue Tracking" (with duplicates)