Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Proposal - Top Level Relationship Object

In TAXII 1.0/1.1, we defined messages at an abstract level (similar level to the summary John provides below). Here is an example from the TAXII 1.1 Services Spec:

We then, in the XML Binding Spec, mapped these names and meanings into XML (note: the field order doesn’t align 100%):

This worked relatively well for TAXII 1.1/1.0, and it may be worth taking the same path for this group’s discussion (Note: I am intentionally not mentioning specification organization). Start by defining the structure in a concrete but serialization-independent way (TAXII 1.x used tables; my understanding is that RDF/OWL is also an option) and then move to the serialization, which should end up being a very straightforward task by the time you get there and pick a format.

I would also like to note a some mistakes we made and deficiencies in the TAXII 1.x approach:

1.       Mistake: We didn’t have 100% naming alignment between the Services Spec and Binding Spec – this caused some confusion for implementers (See: Delivery Parameters / Push Parameters)

2.       Deficiency: This approach spread the definition for a field across two documents. The “meaning” was in the TAXII Services Spec and the “serialization” was in the TAXII XML Message Binding. Implementers had to continually flip back and forth between documents.

3.       Mistake or Deficiency (not sure): In some instances, a field was “required” in the Services Spec and “optional” in the XML binding. The rational was that the “meaning” of the field was retained in the XML because the XML field had a default value. This was counter-intuitive for implementers – they saw something marked as “required” in the Services Spec and were seeing TAXII Messages without that field.

4.       Note: We had some rules in the TAXII Services Spec that couldn’t easily be expressed in XML (e.g., one field’s allowable values depending on the value of another field. See: Subscription Request/Subscription ID). In those cases, we chose not to attempt to express them.

This is kind of a long way of saying: Let’s hold off on the format wars for now. Let’s focus on what we want to solve.

Thank you.

-Mark