Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Proposal - Single Binding

To introduce a wild idea.. instead of having the artifact of the standard be a protocol and reference implementation, the artifact could simply be an Apache Avro schema...

The standard would then not be tied to any binding or implementation at all. And, no one would ever have to write code to "speak STIX", they would simply take the reference Avro schema and generate the code for whatever protocols they wanted to support.

The big downside is "TAXII hub" products would probably need to run support for many protocols simultaneously since some of their clients maybe speaking Protobuf and some JSON

I don't know really what I think of this idea but thought i should put it out there.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Trey Darley ---2015/07/30 09:24:52 AM---Hey, guys - Cap'n Proto is supported by C++, Erlang, JavascriTrey Darley ---2015/07/30 09:24:52 AM---Hey, guys - Cap'n Proto is supported by C++, Erlang, _javascript_, Python, Rust, C, C#, Go, Java, Lua,

From: Trey Darley <trey@soltra.com>
To: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>
Cc: Eric Burger <Eric.Burger@georgetown.edu>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/07/30 09:24 AM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hey, guys -

Cap'n Proto is supported by C++, Erlang, _javascript_, Python, Rust, C, C#, Go, Java, Lua, OCaml, and Ruby [0]. I think that pretty well covers the landscape, unless someone out there is working in Haskell or Lisp?!

The biggest advantages I see with Cap'n Proto have nothing to do with performance.

0) The ability to evolve a spec without breaking backwards-compatibility [1].
1) The fact that you get input validation and parsing for free [2].

[0]: https://capnproto.org/otherlang.html
[1]: https://capnproto.org/language.html#evolving-your-protocol
[2]: https://capnproto.org/index.html

Cheers,