Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Proposal - Top Level Relationship Object

For (1), that should be a required part of producer should it not?

For (2), there will not be collisions if the UUID is not left open and is specified to be an actual UUID ( IE RFC 4122 compliant )

Just playing devil's advocate.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Terry MacDonald ---2015/07/31 09:43:33 AM---I would like the GUID to relate to the domain name namespTerry MacDonald ---2015/07/31 09:43:33 AM---I would like the GUID to relate to the domain name namespace of the producer in some way. I think we

From: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>
To: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Cc: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/07/31 09:43 AM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I would like the GUID to relate to the domain name namespace of the producer in some way. I think we lose a couple of VERY important features if we just make it a random GUID.

1. We lose the direct link to the producers TAXII server:
With a domain name namespace we know exactly the domain name we need to contact. We could then mandate that there needs to be a TAXII server at a particular location at a particular port ready to service other TAXII servers.

e.g.
Producer A has a TAXII server at taxii.producera.com. All Objects produced by Producer A have a GUID that includes https://taxii.producera.com. Consumer B gets a relationship object that points to an Object that Producer A generated, but Consumer B doesn't have the object itself. No matter! It knows exactly who to ask for the object. So Consumer B's TAXII client contacts https://taxii.producera.com directly and automatically negotiates permission to retrieve the object it needs.

By including the domain name, we effectively negate the need for a separate field for maintaining TAXII server addresses. It comes built in for free.

2. GUID conflicts:
By including the the domain name in the GUID, we gain the nice benefit that we cannot possibly have namespace collisions, thanks to the fact that domain names have to be unique.

I really would be worried to move to a random GUID as we lose a ton of potential beneficial side effects that we wouldn't otherwise have.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald
| STIX, TAXII, CybOX Consultant

M: +61-407-203-026
E: terry.macdonald@threatloop.com
W: www.threatloop.com

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this email do not represent the sentiment of any other party except my own. My views do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.