Subject: Discussions on the cti-stix list

Fellow CTI STIX SC members,

We are excited to see the amount of traffic and discussion on the list and look forward to the opportunity to provide substantive contributions ourselves.
While we strongly encourage open and active discussion among the SC community some of the wording used in recent threads leads us to believe that a clarification/reminder may be in order to ensure that we are all on the same page.
Discussions like those currently occurring on topics that will affect a future version of STIX are useful and encouraged but, to be clear, they are informal rather than formal in nature. Nothing here is yet being decided or finished or finalized.

We are now operating under the formal governance of a standards development organization and as such we must follow the prescribed processes that make such organizations valuable.
While discussions on any topic can occur at any time, the formal process for evolving such topics into the standards roughly will be:

Our current priority is to complete work on the STIX 1.2.1 work product before officially initiating the STIX 2.0 work product.
This does not mean we cannot talk about STIX 2.0 issues, only that it will be informal until we complete STIX 1.2.1.

While we all desire to evolve STIX and address known issues as quickly as we can, as a formal standard we must ensure our priorities are always in order:
  1. Ensuring capability, integrity and stability of the STIX standard to serve its intended purpose
  2. Ensuring the practicality of use and acceptability of change among the intended user base for the STIX standard
  3. Following OASIS formal governance processes
  4. Progress as rapidly as is appropriate given #1, #2 and #3 above

Hopefully, none of this comes as a surprise to anyone but rather just a friendly reminder.

Again, we encourage you to continue the great discourse that is occurring and we look forward to contributing.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sean Barnum and Aharon Chernin
CTI STIX SC Co-chairs