Subject: STIX v1.2.1 specification now ready for STIX SC review -- Review period ends October 2, 2015

STIX SC members,

Well, the day is here. The official draft specification content for STIX 1.2.1 is complete and has been cleared to share after this mornings contribution uploads from Rich Struse.

As was discussed last month, we would now like to offer a very brief one week period of review (ending COB Friday, Oct 2nd) for the STIX SC.
As was discussed, it is believed that one week should be adequate given the fact that STIX 1.2.1 contains no substantive changes in the actual STIX language semantics and structure.
Rather it is simply a capture of the STIX 1.2 semantics and structure into the OASIS document format.
As such, review focus should be on editorial details rather than details of the language itself.

We encourage everyone to review the documents at least cursorily to become familiar with OASIS work product formats.
We also encourage those who have not yet looked at the actual language specifications beyond just the XSD schema implementations to take some time to understand the implementation-independent approach taken for specifying the STIX language. We believe this will be very valuable for constructive progress going forward.

The specification content is available within the STIXProject/specifications repository on github.
To make it easier for those who have challenges with pulling content using git, the content is also attached to this email as a single ZIP file.
That same ZIP file has also been uploaded to the internal OASIS STIX SC site.

Any comments you have from your review of the specification should be captured in the issue trackers for the STIXProject/specifications repository on github.

We hope to be able to discuss these specifications and the way forward during our monthly STIX SC meeting call next week.

We would like to issue a huge thank you to Desiree Beck and Rich Piazza of MITRE for doing much of the heavy editorial lifting on this effort.
We would also like to thank Chet Ensign, Robin Cover and Paul Knight of OASIS for walking us through what is required for this sort of thing within OASIS.

Whew! We almost have our initial baseline within OASIS and we should very soon be able to officially begin work on STIX 2.0 in earnest.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Sean Barnum
STIX SC Co-chair