Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: [cti-users] Indicator Type / Vocabulary Implementation Questions

Understood.

This seems like a fundamental issue with diverse information exchange.
The only way I can see that STIX could try to overcome this issue is providing structures enabling the producer to transmit their full vocab definition as part of the content itself. This was discussed way back when the vocabulary structure was being tackled and was ruled out as unneccessary complexity and something best handled outside the scope of STIX. That is why the “vocab_name” and “vocab_ref” properties were added as a mid-ground between schema-validatable vocab definitions which had a hard requirement to access to the vocab definition and pure free-form string with no context of where it came from. The idea is that producers could simply reference vocabularies by name and/or by link to an actual explanatory definition in order to give context to a free-form string. These could be common vocabularies used out in the world or defined by another standard or could be custom ones where the producer  could post a simple web page listing the vocabulary values with definitions for each.

I am certainly not asserting that everything is perfect or that all problems are solved without cost or downside. I think there will always be some issues we have to work around. I just wanted to provide some context on what capability is currently available and why it is the way it currently is.

Thank you for the great conversation around this topic. If nothing else comes out of it other than a renewed momentum to improving the IndicatorType default vocab I think it will have been well worth our time. ;-)

sean

From: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM
To: "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>
Cc: John Wunder <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

The twofold problem with this approach however is what I mentioned previously

- Many STIX consuming systems do not have internet access, and thus can not download arbitrary vocabularies created by others

- Entities producing STIX documents may also not have any access to a reasonable place to post a vocabulary for the public.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Barnum, Sean D." ---2015/10/23 11:38:47 AM---John’s comments just reminded me that there is part of"Barnum, Sean D." ---2015/10/23 11:38:47 AM---John’s comments just reminded me that there is part of the vocabulary approach in STIX that has not