Subject: STIX versioning as an interim solution to deduplication

Dear All,

I’d like to ask for your opinion.

Use-case; many producers create intelligence with widely different content (names/meta/context) for the same threat information. Additionally, many producer don’t re-use or across producers we don’t re-use STIX IDs. Therefor, the challenge of duplication is significant.

While we’ve already have many non-STIX way of dealing with this at EclecticIQ, I wonder if STIX versioning idioms aren’t a way to accomplish part of this.

Example;

Before:
TTP A: Zeus, version 1 – namespace vendorA
TTP B: Zeus, version 1 – namespace vendorB
TTP C: Zeus, version 1 – namespace vendorC

After:
TTP D: Zeus version 1 – my own namespace
Related TTPs
Supersedes IDREF TTP A version 1
Supersedes IDREF TTP B version 1
Supersedes IDREF TTP C version 1

Basically telling my STIX authority that TTP A/B/C version 1 no longer should be current and then TTP D version 1 (my analytic decision that my Zeus is now all other Zeus) is actually analytically equal to the others?

J-