Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Conceptul model for sighting

I concur
And me to say 'ObservedSighting' vs ´ReportedSighting'
Thing we should not want for now to avoid ´complexity'

On Thursday, 29 October 2015, Davidson II, Mark S <mdavidson@mitre.org> wrote:

You’ll know the server you got it from, but does that tell you who sent it?

Let’s say you have a TAXII Server for a sharing group. Org1 puts up a sighting, Org2 receives the sighting. How does Org2 know what organization produced the sighting if the sighting information is not contained in the data?

Thank you.

-Mark

From: Jason Keirstead [mailto:Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:26 AM
To: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>
Cc: Davidson II, Mark S <mdavidson@mitre.org>; Sarah Kelley <Sarah.Kelley@cisecurity.org>; Jordan, Bret <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>; Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>; Baker, Jon <bakerj@mitre.org>; Jonathan Bush (DTCC) <jbush@dtcc.com>; Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>; cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org

Question I have been pondering, with respect to trying to keep the mandatory fields as minimal as possible....

If it is assumed that the sighting is going to be reported via TAXII, which I would expect should be the majority of the cases - why do we need to have the producer as part of the message, when it should be able to be implied?

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Jerome Athias ---2015/10/27 11:26:13 AM---I think we're doing well. I think the location and detectioJerome Athias ---2015/10/27 11:26:13 AM---I think we're doing well. I think the location and detection-method could be optional (in an