Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Proposal to establish Sightings (#306) and Relationships (#291) as our official issue topics under active consideration for STIX v2.0

Mark,

That should change with the top-level relationship object. It will be quite possible to send just a relationship object in a package. This will mean that the consumer will need the ability to contact the original producer of the reference STIX data object to ask if they are allowed the full object rather than just the reference to it. Having the ability to find the TAXII server from just the STIX object ID is critical to allow this to happen.

This functionality also allows more secretive providers to ‘hide’ their data, such that consumers can understand that relationships exist, but that only a small subset of approved consumers will have access to the actual STIX object data. It gives the ability to hide stuff.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald

Senior STIX Subject Matter Expert

SOLTRA | An FS-ISAC and DTCC Company

+61 (407) 203 206 | terry@soltra.com

From: Davidson II, Mark S [mailto:mdavidson@mitre.org]
Sent: Friday, 30 October 2015 5:05 AM
To: Jordan, Bret <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>; Barnum, Sean D. <sbarnum@mitre.org>
Cc: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>; Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>; Taylor, Marlon <Marlon.Taylor@hq.dhs.gov>; Wunder, John A. <jwunder@mitre.org>; cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org

If want the ability to dereference arbitrary STIX IDs (for use in accessing some kind of repository, let’s say), then I think requiring a rule whereby STIX IDs can be turned into a URL could be a good requirement (Note: URLs as IDs would satisfy this requirement). While there is a concept for idref today, I personally haven’t seen an implementation that dereferences STIX IDs outside of the document containing the idref.

Thank you.

-Mark

PS, a notional example: <stix:Indicator idref=”https://example.org/stix121/indicators/123”/>