Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Top-level Sighting Object from last meeting

I think both are good.

There will be times that you want a specific time period to be defined for an Indicator (e.g. Domain Generation Algorithms for malware) so that people only look for them when they need to. It would allow some people to generate lists of DGA created Domains that other can use to see if they have any infections of that particular malware family on their network. And being able to create that an d disseminate that a few days earlier would really help if there is a large volume to be sent out.

And, there are other things that would be great to just have slowly decay and expire (like dropper URLs) over time.

Can we have both please? :)

Terry MacDonald
Senior STIX Subject Matter Expert
SOLTRA | An FS-ISAC and DTCC Company
+61 (407) 203 206 | terry@soltra.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Trey Darley
Sent: Friday, 30 October 2015 9:05 PM
To: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>
Cc: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>; Joep Gommers <joep@eclecticiq.com>; Jordan, Bret <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>; Sean D. Barnum <sbarnum@mitre.org>; Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com>; Thompson, Dean <Dean.Thompson@anz.com>; Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>; cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org

On 30.10.2015 12:29:31, Jerome Athias wrote:
> For the record
>
> https://stixproject.github.io/data-model/1.2/indicator/IndicatorType/
> Valid_Time_Position 0..n ValidTimeType Specifies the time window for
> which this Indicator is valid.
>
> was introduced for some use cases related.

Good point, Jerome, I totally forgot about the Valid_Time_Position property. (Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen it used in the
field!)

That said, I prefer the OpenTPX approach of allowing indicators to age gradually rather than the current STIX approach of binary start/stop times. It seems to me ultimately more useful to be able to say, "This indicator is still valid but it is *less* valid than it was 10 days ago" than to say, "This indicator is valid between now and next Wednesday."

--
Cheers,
Trey