Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Some thoughts on Sightings and conversations to date (Part #4): should sightings have IDs?

I could get behind that idea...

(However, "alert" just seems like sighting without an ID and count to me... that's why I am simply proposing that ID (and count) be optional.)

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Wunder, John A." ---2015/11/04 09:33:50 AM---I agree on the Slack comment, these conversations are p"Wunder, John A." ---2015/11/04 09:33:50 AM---I agree on the Slack comment, these conversations are painful over e-mail. STIX needs to get with th

From: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
To: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/11/04 09:33 AM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I agree on the Slack comment, these conversations are painful over e-mail. STIX needs to get with the program :)

Anyway how about I throw a new (probably terrible) idea. What if we have two tiers of “sightings":

- sightings (I’d maybe call them alerts, but whatever), which are emitted by end systems and work as you’re saying. They probably wouldn’t have a count though, as the firewall would not be aggregating them? An aggregation of sightings would turn into an event. These could not have an ID (I really prefer having IDs on everything, for consistency, but I’ll let it go).

- events(?), which are aggregated sightings. They would have a count, could be updated, would have an ID, etc. They could reference any number of alert sightings if systems are storing them, but wouldn’t necessarily have to. Threat intelligence systems manage events, firewalls emit alert sightings.

My worry is that if we design the “sightings” model only for tools emitting sightings, the tools managing sightings in the context of an investigation, analysis, or information sharing arrangement between organizations will not be able to do what they need to.

John