Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Focusing our active discussions a little

One quick comment on the Xpath items below:
  • It should be noted that Xpath is NOT part of the STIX data model or language specifications.
  • Xpath would likely be specified within the XML Binding specification as the XML-centric approach to the Controlled_Structure field.
  • The actual language specifications define Controlled_Structure as:
    • "The Controlled_Structure property specifies the full explicit set of STIX structured elements to which the marking is to be applied. The controlled structure MUST explicitly select all structured elements that the marking applies to; selecting a parent structured element may not imply that the marking also applies to its children. Specific syntax for how the set of STIX structured elements will be specified is dependent on the particular syntactic implementation (XML, JSON, etc.) of the STIX language and MUST be explicitly specified in a separate binding specification for that syntactic implementation (e.g. a STIX XML Binding Specification).  For example, a STIX XML Binding Specification could specify XPath 1.0 as an appropriate choice for the syntax of the Controlled_Structure property."

One the point of "Find a new home for Information Source, outside of Handling/Marking”, this would likely be addressed by Issue #233 dealing with abstracting Source to a separate object. This would allow Sources to be specified and then all sorts of content from that source to simply reference it using an appropriate Relationship rather than defining it inline.

sean

From: Aharon Chernin <achernin@soltra.com>
Date: Monday, November 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM
To: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>
Cc: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I agree with Sean that we need to get Sightings and Relationships nailed down. However, I need to get this off my chest before I forget.

Soltra Marking Proposal for Discussion:

Issues (I will have Terry add these to the Issue tracker):
  1. XPath in Controlled_Structure does not work well for non-XML implementations of STIX
  2. STIX_Package level handling does not work well when you remove the objects from the STIX_Package (ie. Object reuse)
  3. Marking that is more granular than object level is difficult to implement (ie. 50% of this object is TLP White, 50% of this same object is TLP red).
Solution for Discussion.
  1. Remove Handling/Marking from STIX_Package Header
  2. Remove the concept of XPath Controlled_Structure
  3. Find a new home for Information Source, outside of Handling/Marking
  4. Create Simple Marking, TLP, and TOU marking as either attributes to each object or as elements within each object
Aharon
--
Aharon Chernin
CTO