Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX timestamps and ISO 8601:2000

The users (incident responders, threat analysts, etc) as you call out, use tools, they do not use the model directly.  And I would argue that vendors that produce tools for incident responders and threat analysts know those communities really well and get feed back from them all the time.  Further, if vendors do not build tools that the users like, then they go out of business.

So if the standard says all of the times are kept in UTC, then it falls on the vendors that produce tools for these groups to make sure it works in ways that those groups want and need.

The reason we look at this from a standard, is to make sure we can guarantee interoperability.

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems