Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX timestamps and ISO 8601:2000

Sean - all I am concerned with is the format of the timestamp and the precision of said timestamp.

I am of the firm belief that we do not need to support a producer *or* an observer the capability to declare their precision, and having this in STIX is an example of needless complexity that has no practical use.

If there is a codified use case for nanosecond accuracy*, then just make the mandatory timestamp format include nanoseconds, and everyone who does not have milliseconds or nanoseconds will set all zeros.

* I would like to see this declared though - what is the actual (not theoretical) use case for nanosecond accuracy of an observation or a production?

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Barnum, Sean D." ---11/20/2015 03:03:14 PM---Jason, I think that part of the confusion here may be d"Barnum, Sean D." ---11/20/2015 03:03:14 PM---Jason, I think that part of the confusion here may be due to conflating two different kinds of times

From: "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA, Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@Specere.org>
Cc: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: 11/20/2015 03:03 PM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Jason,

I think that part of the confusion here may be due to conflating two different kinds of timestamps: production timestamps and occurrence/observation/assertion timestamps.

I am characterizing production timestamps here as timestamps associated with STIX content when it is created (I.e. the timestamp that goes along with ID to identify a specific version of content). I would agree with you that any system producing STIX content should likely have the capacity and the unambiguous clarity of when it is producing the content to assert a timestamp with millisecond precision.

I am characterizing occurrence/observation/assertion timestamps as time assertions when something is believed to have occurred, when some sort of observation was made or when some relationship or fact was asserted. These sorts of timestamps cannot be presumed to come from the same sorts of systems or unambiguous clarity as production timestamps. These sorts of things can come from all sorts of sensors or systems or people where such precision is simply not consistently possible. Also, it can be complicated by things like initial uncertainty (as Jerome pointed out) or by what level of precision given parties are willing to share. All of these are the sorts of realities in real-world threat intel that the community expressed which led to the inclusion of the precision field.

Does that help at all?

sean