Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX timestamps and ISO 8601:2000

I miss typed in my last email, I meant to say micro seconds not milliseconds, aka 6 digits of precision not 3 digits of precision.  Wireshark and other networking / security tools are able to work with and provide 6 digits of precision. That is VERY common. What is not really common today is 9 digits of precision.

I propose that STIX / CybOX / TAXII use the following RFC3339/ISO8601 timestamp format:

yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.mmmmmm where all times are recorded in UTC format.  A UI tool can display and should display the time in a format that works for the end user.

Open Questions for manual creation of timestamps of when you think something took place.
1) How do you define a time of just a date?  Meaning, I do not know what time of day it took place?  I am documenting this event retrospectively.
2015-11-23T00:00:00.000000 ????

2) What if I only know the month and year?
2015-11-00T00:00:00.000000 ????

3) What if I do not know the seconds but know the hour and minute?
2015-11-23T11:06:00.000000 ????  This can be weird as you would not know

I just want us to all be on the same page.

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems