Subject: RE: [cti-stix] STIX timestamps and ISO 8601:2000

Agree 100% on the nanoseconds - if not useful, they should be dropped.

I want to pick up debate here we were having on the Slack channel before it went kapoof. I do not think we should be coming at this from the point of view of "this could be theoretically useful for <x>". This is exactly how STIX got so complicated in the first place.

We should be coming at this from the point of view of

- What is the minimal amount of information to communicate this data point

- OK, now, what additional information *beyond the minimum" is required to fulfil all identified workflows.

Notice I am using the word "workflow", not use case, this is on purpose. All of these decisions should be made from the point of view of an end to end workflow - not only the producer making the data, but also the consumer of the data, and what usefulness it could provide them.

So far the requirement for a precision field has assumed that there is a use case on the recpient side for this data - I challenge this. Lets assume we have a mandatory nanosecond-accurate timestamp. What is the workflow by which I would create a timestamp that would not have nanosecond accuracy, send that to a consumer, and then have the consumer improperly process the information or take invalid action based on that? A use case on Slack was presented by @sbarnum that you could use this for high precision temporal analysis - but I assert that said analysis still does not require a precision field, because in the only use cases where you would be doing that action, the data would always have precision (no one is going to take human-generated incident responses and perform millisecond-level temporal analysis on them, that doesn't make any sense)

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Struse, Richard" ---11/23/2015 03:42:45 PM---Are there any generally-available tools or technologies"Struse, Richard" ---11/23/2015 03:42:45 PM---Are there any generally-available tools or technologies that produce timestamps with nanosecond prec

From: "Struse, Richard" <Richard.Struse@HQ.DHS.GOV>
To: "tony@yaanatech.com" <tony@yaanatech.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, Trey Darley <trey@SOLTRA.COM>
Cc: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA, Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@Specere.org>, "Sean D. Barnum" <sbarnum@mitre.org>
Date: 11/23/2015 03:42 PM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Are there any generally-available tools or technologies that produce
timestamps with nanosecond precision today?  If we can't identify any I
would suggest that we support 6 digits (microseconds) and be done.

This is a trivial but important way that we can communicate to the broader
community that we are rooted in real-world practice.