Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX timestamps and ISO 8601:2000

What is the use case for this though - so far all I have seen are theoretical.

The only actual cases I have seen, are ones where the precision would actually already be present due to the type of indicator, so it's a moot point.
I understand this use case perfectly. But I still don't understand why the consumer of that report would care about the precision of the information.

So the use case is that someone will a human-generated timestamp declared with a 24-48 hour time confidence and I will start a lengthy forensics reconstruction based on that time when I know it is not accurate.. ? "Every hour of delay in recovering Actionable IOCs and Malware Artifacts can result in 100's of additional APT compromised systems that need to be mitigated", surely this means that I would not want to waste hours to days reconstructing inapplicable data?

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Patrick Maroney ---11/24/2015 05:08:54 PM---What if a programmatic event occurred at precisely "2015-Patrick Maroney ---11/24/2015 05:08:54 PM---What if a programmatic event occurred at precisely "2015-11-24 00:00:00.000000" how would my logic d

From: Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@Specere.org>
To: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>, "Sean D. Barnum" <sbarnum@mitre.org>, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 11/24/2015 05:08 PM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

What if a programmatic event occurred at precisely "2015-11-24 00:00:00.000000" how would my logic discern the difference? My only issue here is with assuming zero values imply range of uncertainty. I am only arguing that there should be a mechanism (optional?) to state uncertainty ***explicitly***. I'm 100% good with everything else here.

There are a number of Work Flow scenarios were this is relevant (User reports: "Oh yeah I saw an alert from the antivirus thingie sometime last week that warned me "ReallyBadStuff" will happen if I click OK to this, but I see these all the time and just clicked OK like I always do". There are also legal implications for organizations in some communities for event reporting and time frames required under law to do so. In many cases you have to report before you can reasonably establish "when" something happened. We need to be able to express "rough" findings rapidly to meet compliance regulation or contractual terms and then refine these dates and time as due diligence investigation occurs.

re: "I too want to know this... As the more I have thought about it, the more I am coming to the idea that the precision field is just theoretical. It does not have an effect in the actual work flow. "

It does have an effect on actual workflow for high Capability Maturity organizations that maintain strict device clock synchronization. Knowing which block of time to pull PCAPs from a Tape Library of PCAPs from a 10GBs channel for re=processing example can make the difference of hours in processing time (in the case of Netwitness it takes 2 Hours/Terabyte to reprocess raw data packets through a Decoder back into Metadata and File Artifacts). Every hour of delay in recovering Actionable IOCs and Malware Artifacts can result in 100's of additional APT compromised systems that need to be mitigated. So yes, most organizations do not maintain strict infrastructure Time Synchronization, but we should not presume that there is no value/requirement to support those who have learned these hard lessons and have addressed same in their policies and procedures.

Folks - We are real close on this one. Is there a way to add Uncertainty as an optional parameter?

Patrick Maroney
President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
Office: (856)983-0001
Cell: (609)841-5104