Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX: Messaging Standard vs. Document Standard

"What about a new TTP for an existing threat actor? I would not want to have to do an RDF-based exchange to share that type of information (still holding out hope for a reasonable JSON-LD approach) but I’m also not sure we can build messages to cover those use cases."

I believe you would indeed do a complex exchange for that. This is not a "messaging" use case, it is a "document share" use case. The difference in complexity between sharing TTP information to sighting information is similar to emailing a word document vs. engaging in an IM session. It's not the same.

My point is that the huge amount of third party vendors who want to "speak STIX" to communicate and/or absorb indicators, observables, and sightings, are not interested in use cases like "TTP for an existing threat actor". They don't have that information, and they can't act on that information. You aren't going to get TTP information out of an IPS, and you aren't going to send TTP information to an IDS or Firewall. But you will get Indicators and sightings from an IPS, and you will want to send observables to an IDS or Firewall.

These are the two different use cases - one that lends itself to a semantic model, and one that lends itself to a compact and coherent messaging format.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Wunder, John A." ---11/30/2015 10:04:36 AM---So to be honest I’m not yet as convinced on this appro"Wunder, John A." ---11/30/2015 10:04:36 AM---So to be honest I’m not yet as convinced on this approach as all of you (sorry). I can definitely se

From: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
To: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 11/30/2015 10:04 AM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

So to be honest I’m not yet as convinced on this approach as all of you (sorry). I can definitely see the value of messages at the level of sightings and indicators but it seems to me like there’s a giant middle ground of use cases where we don’t want to define tightly-scoped messages but the document-based approach would still be a burden. For these cases I was hoping the JSON serialization of the full model would be used.

For example, would we have a message to represent a new incident? What would the message semantics be? What about a new TTP for an existing threat actor? I would not want to have to do an RDF-based exchange to share that type of information (still holding out hope for a reasonable JSON-LD approach) but I’m also not sure we can build messages to cover those use cases.

Jason, Jon, Mark…what do you all think about that? Would we define messages for that? Would we have third-party messages (i.e. my app can define a non-standard CTI message based on the data model)? Would we just use RDF?

John