Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Timestamps - Proposal

Much depends on the answer to (2), but I will give you your requested Use Case requirement for Millisecond precision: many common used Time/Date Utility libraries only support Milliseconds vs. full RFC compliant forms ( "time-secfrac = "." 1*DIGIT").

This was discussed in our original extended discussions on Time Representation on the original Lists if you need specific references to accept the assertion.

http://making-security-measurable.1364806.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1364806&query=%22time-secfrac%22&i=12

Note that in the effort to drive this to closure, "TimeStamps" have been discussed extensively in 3 contexts:  (1) TAXII, (2) _expression_ of "When" something occurred, and (3) _expression_ of intervals in patterns.
So in support of the "One Way of Doing Things" philosophy, and in the interests of driving to closure, it  would be useful to clarify which contexts the current decision applies to.

Patrick Maroney
Office:  (856)983-0001
Cell:      (609)841-5104

President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
PO Box 569
Marlton, NJ 08053

From: Bret Jordan <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM
To: Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@Specere.org>
Cc: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Good questions....  For (2) I would hope that where relevant STIX will support multiple time stamps to accomplish this need.  But at the current rate, that will probably be 9 months of debate... :(

For (3), it is always easier to add stuff than take stuff away.  And the group kind of felt like you either know to the microsecond or not.  Now some 10Gig/40Gig/100Gig networks will have support for nano second, but there did not seem to be any solid use-cases for mili second precision.  If I am wrong, PLEASE speak up.

We need to drive this to consensus.  We need to show that we can decide something...  So if you think we need milliseconds, and there are a broad range of tools that only support 3 sub-digit seconds, then please speak up.

From my standpoint, I really do not see the value in precision.  Or I should say, I only see value to a "day" and to greater than an "hour".  Anything outside of those windows is basically useless from an actionable stand point.  But I am coming to middle ground in order to get something done in STIX.

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems