Subject: Re: [cti-stix] RE: Can we just make a little bit of progress?

Mark and Jonathan, I would agree with your frustration. I too would very much like to be able to make more actual progress.

While I would agree that email is not a great medium for many of these discussions and still believe that we need some sort of better threaded discussion platform I think the primary reason we are not making more progress is that we continue to lack the ability to focus on one issue at a time. We are suffering death by a thousand cuts and are bleeding out.
The “agile” process you describe below is basically the process we have all agreed is the one we are supposed to be following now with the exception of hard time boxing in #2. We certainly want to shoot for a quick time box but a deadline cannot force consensus. We need to work together and compromise where possible to make progress where consensus is not obvious.

We have also published our roadmap of topics that we plan to tackle in the next couple of months. It is here.

The one issue we are supposed to be focusing on right now is Sightings.
On the last STIX call we went in thinking we had consensus but discovered it was not as solid as we had hoped. The plan was to pull together an overview of the consensus we thought we had and a list of the open issues for us all to continue the discussion in a focused way. The next morning the MTI ballot was brought up suddenly distracting the priority for several people including myself away from the sightings issue and onto facets of the MTI issue requiring attention. Around the same time and over the next couple of days additional topics were brought up on the lists for versioning, timestamps, assets, etc. as well as continuing thread discussions on over a half dozen other topics. All of these topics are completely valid topics for the SC to discuss but we simply cannot try to discuss them all at once or we will be unable to nail any of them down definitively. As Jonathan points out, none of us have the cycles to follow and contribute to all of these topics at once in anything more than a chatroom mode. The reality is that all of these topics require more deliberative and analytic thinking than that to get right. Getting done fast does no good if it does not get done right.

So, I would like to reiterate the request and encouragement I have given before, can we please all agree to show discipline and focus on one issue at a time and work our way through our roadmap?

For other topics people are interested in let us please wait until their assigned time in the roadmap to dive into them. If you have new issues to discuss, please make sure to add them as issues to the tracker and if you think the priority order of our roadmap should change as we work our way through it, please bring that up and we can reach consensus on potentially adjusting it.

I make no claims that this is a magic bullet that will slay all of our problems but I do believe it is the single most important thing we can do to improve our chances of making progress.

For context that may help address some of Mark’s questions on process the intended lifecycle for an issue would follow along the lines of:
  • Capture issue in the tracker
    • Anyone can add comments and thoughts whenever they would like within the tracker
  • Identify priority of the issue and order it within the roadmap
  • Discuss the issue on the list when its appropriate time comes in the roadmap
    • Identify and discuss facets of the issue
    • Identify and discuss potential proposed solutions to the issue
      • Provide updated model snippets and examples as much as possible
      • Potentially create wiki writeups providing details for proposed solutions
    • Discuss the benefits and risk of  various proposed solutions
    • Refine and narrow down solution options
    • Achieve and agree to consensus on solution to pursue
      • If consensus cannot be reached in an appropriate amount of time consider rescheduling continuing discussion for later in the roadmap. This may not be feasible for issues with a high architectural significance.
  • Capture key elements of discussion as well as details of proposed solution within the tracker
  • Capture proposed to-be state of the model as a branch in the github tracker
  • Move on to next issue
  • Revisit and refine issue and solution as appropriate due to discussions and decisions on other issues
  • In preparation for Release
    • Review issue solution and integrate to-be model changes from branch into the overall model.
    • Capture final resolution comments in tracker and close issue

Can we all agree to focus on one issue at a time and discipline ourselves not to initiate discussions on other issues until they are our official focus?

I am hopeful that our current frustrations may offer us the motivation to do better at this going forward and allow us to make better progress.

Thank you for your contributions and commitment to making STIX a success.

Sean