Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Applying data markings

"* When this gets worked into the spec, I'd prefer to avoid making Data Markings a dimension for negotiating interoperability. Said another way, I don't want two otherwise compatible STIX implementations to be incompatible because they support different levels of Data Markings."

For sure, there is no way data marking support should be included in an interoperability negotiation, because you have no way to even know if the "support" being asserted is adequate for your use of marking anyway.

Data makings in protocols of all types have a classic problem where you actually have no idea if the recipient is respecting or even doing anything with them at all, and even if they are, they may not be doing what the producer actually intended. Fixing this isn't really something you can accomplish as part of a protocol standards body either, because the only way it could be checked and enforced is via a software auditing process (which the CTI could come up with but it would be a separate work product than the protocol standard).

Really, aside from the aforementioned auditing possibilities, data markings are only useful within a given trust group because you have to have trust that the other systems are in fact respecting the markings you apply and processing them in the way you intend.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Mark Davidson ---12/04/2015 08:41:51 AM---A few comments from me: * Overall, I like the design and I Mark Davidson ---12/04/2015 08:41:51 AM---A few comments from me: * Overall, I like the design and I think it is in the right ballpark. I have

From: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
To: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "Struse, Richard" <Richard.Struse@HQ.DHS.GOV>
Cc: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 12/04/2015 08:41 AM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

A few comments from me:

* Overall, I like the design and I think it is in the right ballpark. I have some comments (below), but overall I'd be on board with using this as our foundation for STIX 2.0 data markings and moving on to other topics, as long as we recognize that things might change as a result of prototyping and other decisions (but hopefully not too much!)

* I really like "override markings of the same type" and I consider this a key benefit of the proposal. We've had conversations about the 'more restrictive' marking applying, but there's no guarantee that markings can be objectively identified as more or less restrictive. This is a very straightforward way of determining which marking(s) apply.

* I'd like some clarity on what it means to process a data marking, but that can be sorted out later when this gets worked into a specification.

* I don't like the two modes of marking - Level 1 has markings as a property of the marked object, and Level 2 has the marked object as a property of the marking. That said, I recognize this may be a necessity that can't be worked around, especially if we desire the ability to mark information whose representation is under our control (in STIX 1.x, CIQ, OVAL, et al would fall under this category - in STIX 2.0 I'm not clear which items are in this category).

* When this gets worked into the spec, I'd prefer to avoid making Data Markings a dimension for negotiating interoperability. Said another way, I don't want two otherwise compatible STIX implementations to be incompatible because they support different levels of Data Markings. I'm not sure we'll ever get to the point where you can just plug together two products that say "STIX" on the label, but IMO we should move as far in that direction as possible. Rich's idea of MTI/optional looks like it would accomplish my goal.

* This is a personal preference: Level 1 Markings and Level 2 Markings could instead be called "Data Markings" and "Field Level Data Markings". IMO this would make it more clear to a reader what each thing is, and make it clear that Level 2 is effectively an extension of Level 1. Then the conformance clause could read like "Data Markings MUST be implemented. Field Level Data Markings MAY be implemented" or some such. That said, this is personal preference and my opinion on the design is not contingent on this comment being accepted.

TBH, most of my questions/comments can probably be captured as "open questions" in the proposal's wiki page. John, I'm happy to make those edits myself if you'd like (Let me know offline or in slack; no need to reply on-list for that).

Thank you.
-Mark

P.S. - I like the idea of establishing a naming convention, can we add that topic to the discussion queue?

P.P.S. - Right now STIX and TAXII are capturing rough consensus decisions differently. STIX is using the GitHub issue trackers and TAXII is using TAXIIProject.github.io. In hopes of not spawning another discussion thread, I'll raise this in the slack channel and see if we can reach a unification proposal to bring back to the list. (Note: Let me know if you want a slack invite)