Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Timestamps - Proposal (UTC)

It’s a case of balancing “perfection is the enemy of the good” and “learn from other people’s mistakes.” Especially, if the mistakes were made by us.

In 2000, I would not expect a protocol or data format to be in anything other than UTC. In 2015, I cannot imagine anything else. Note that SMTP comes close - if your definition of “local time zone” is “2015-12-07T10:10:53.543000-05:00”, then realize you are ALREADY in UTC.

Given that is the proposal agreed to, I’ll shut up. So long as the text points this out. Namely, that the generator of the timestamp is responsible for calculating the offset.

The ironic thing is I will bet 99.9% of the generators use UTC internally and will convert to local time, to which someone will write code to format it into ASCII, where the repository will receive the ASCII time string, convert it to a time, and then apply the presented offset from UTC (-5h in this example) to regenerate the original UTC.

I think I need to buy more Intel stock ;-)