Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Applying data markings

This does look like a good approach for message level markings.

Any information exchange, except for open data, is done under some explicit or implicit agreement between the parties. Various forms of such “exchange agreements” have been around for years. For example, the “Collaborative Partner Profile Agreement” in EbXML, which came out of IBM. Having a reference to an exchange agreement provides the basis for trust between specific parties as well as an explicit representation of any categorization and/or restrictions on any exchange under that agreement. For example, asserting that telephone numbers are personally identifiable information and that personally identifiable information shall not be stored. Markings in the “instance” document augment the exchange agreement. It would simply not be practical or trustworthy to expect all such “markings” to be in every instance, so reference to an exchange agreement provides that level of trust and a place to put “generic” restrictions and categorizations. I suggest exchange agreements be considered for CTI. The exchange agreement reference can be a kind of marking.

-Cory

From: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Barnum, Sean D.
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2015 9:49 AM
To: Wunder, John A.; cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org

I fully support this option as would be expected.

Kudos to John for such a great writeup explaining the idea.

sean

From: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of John Wunder <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM
To: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [cti-stix] Applying data markings

All,

I developed this proposal to handle the application of data markings in STIX 2.0: https://github.com/johnwunder/data-markings. Note: it doesn't address the format of the markings themselves (improvements to TLP, the work in FIRST, etc), just how those markings get applied to content.

I this this meets the need for simplicity for object-level markings as we’ve talked about many times while still allowing for more complicated field-level markings for those that need them. Please review the proposal and let’s talk about feedback. If this looks good to everyone we could use it as the solution for issue #231 (currently #2 on our roadmap).

John