Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX: Messaging Standard vs. Document Standard

+100 to the bold below (apologies to any people who don't have RTF email...)

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Eric Burger ---12/08/2015 09:47:31 PM---Yes, and… I would buy the argument IIF the 1,000 messages inEric Burger ---12/08/2015 09:47:31 PM---Yes, and… I would buy the argument IIF the 1,000 messages in the past four weeks were arguing over t

From: Eric Burger <Eric.Burger@georgetown.edu>
To: "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>
Cc: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 12/08/2015 09:47 PM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Yes, and…

I would buy the argument IIF the 1,000 messages in the past four weeks were arguing over the UML and whether a particular entity really was related to another, and whether that thing is really a related entity or is instead an attribute to the base entity.

However, the 1,000 messages in the past four weeks are arguing about bits on the wire.

I would also offer that I fully agree, for a messaging protocol to convey information, one must understand what that information is. I.e., the information model referenced below.

However, saying that the information model is necessarily the storage format and the protocol on the wire is simply not born out in reality. The source of much joy and gnashing of teeth is there are a lot of isomorphisms between different instantiations of information models. For example, see how many ways one can implement a simple, 13-element ERD in a relational data base. Life gets even more interesting if one is implementing an object data base.

However, there is no logical conclusion that because I happen to implement my storage in a relational data base, I need to be sending ODBC tables back and forth. [Although as a controversial side note, this does inform us as to why CSV, the granddaddy of table transfer on the wire, may be our last, best hope for peace.]

STIX might be a nice ontology to represent cyber threat intelligence, but I think my count of systems that store cyber threat intelligence in STIX is around zero. Moreover, I doubt the world needs or wants a standard format for cyber threat intelligence documents. This is not an indictment of STIX. It simply says people do not need STIX for that.

What the world does need is a method for sharing cyber threat intelligence. I.e., how do I convey the information on the wire.

That is a messaging standard.

If the format could happen to be used for storing the information, great. However, document-centric issues in STIX should, IMHO, carry about 0% weight. This is the issue that I would like to see inform our debates on what STIX needs to look like and how it evolves.

If anything, the JSON vote is a resounding vote from the community that STIX is only about transport on the wire - JSON is utterly useless as a document format, for all the reasons that people say they want to use it. It has no semantics, it is not extensible, it is not open for discovery, and it is not portable outside of implementations that strictly agree on what the JSON means.