Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Applying data markings

There is something I still to this day don't grock about partial makings, especially the ill-defined "TLP". I feel like not enough thought is placed into how the consumer, specifically a TAXII server, is supposed to implement support for the markings.

If I have a STIX document and it is marked in such a way that I can see 1/2 of that document but not the other, when that document is published to a TAXII channel that I am privy to, what do I receive as a consumer? Do I receive a partial document? Do I not receive the document at all?

If it is the former, then what is the point of having Level 2 markings, and furthermore, how can we ensure the document is not incomplete (for example what if an Indicator I have access to has an observable reference that I do not)?

If it is the latter, how can that be done by the TAXII server without changing the digital signature of the document?

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com