Subject: Recap of STIX SC December monthly meeting call: STIX 2.0 Round 1 Strawman proposals

Hey, everyone. It has just come to my attention that this never made it out of my Outbox Wednesday. Not sure what happened.
I apologize for the delay but hope everyone had a great Christmas. :-)

STIX SC members,

For those of you who were unable to make the December STIX SC meeting call, I wanted to give you a brief overview of what was covered.

The primary (really only) topic of discussion was an introduction to a set of proposals offered outlining solutions to a large set (22) of open tracker issues including most of the top ten issues.

This set of independent but integrated proposals are a contribution by STIX SC experts rather than any sort of authoritative contribution from the co-chairs.

The intent for these proposals is to:

  • Give food for thought over Holidays
  • Set us up for focus after the Holidays
  • Identify and close quick consensus issues
  • Identify good issues for F2F agenda
  • Provide well thought out fully modeled proposed solutions to issues to focus and frame conversation and move us forward faster

The STIX 2.0 Round 1 Strawman proposals include 18 proposals covering 22 tracker issues including:

  • 6 Top Ten Roadmap issues (#306, #148, #291, #221, #201, #360)
  • 16 other issues

All proposed changes across the entire set of proposals currently exist in a STIX 2.0 Round 1 Strawman model derived from the STIX 1.2.1 model with deltas attributable to the issues covered in the proposals.

Due to the interdependencies and interactions between the changes for different issues each proposal, its proposed model fragments and its JSON serialization example snippets will often include changes from other issues and proposals.

The JSON example snippets provided in the proposals are intended to be illustrative rather than normative. Style can easily change, type and property names need a naming convention consistency pass across entire model, examples were kept as simple as possible, and there are likely errors here and there.

It is our intent to provide JSON Schema serialization snippets in addition to the JSON serialization example snippets. We have not had time to pull them together yet. Assistance would be appreciated.

The STIX 2.0 Round 1 Strawman draft UML model is available in the stix-2.0-Round-1-Strawmanbranch of the specifications repository.

We will tackle these proposals in discussions on the cti-stix list but also please feel free to register your thoughts and feedback within the relevant issues within the STIXProject/Schemas tracker on github.

Links to Proposals:

Sean Barnum

STIX SC Co-chair