Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Object ID format

Adding  source into the sub-fields of a relationship or managing an “exports’ index both seem like much more complicated solutions to a problem that can be addressed by keeping the ID Authority domain name in the IDs. And having the domain name there provides added benefit beyond just the “source” use case.

Gary mentioned the deduplication issue but I believe the discussion around it made it clear that it is not a property of proxy anonymization but of the data itself. The approach of pulling domain name out of Ids does nothing to solve the issue. If anything it makes the issue broader across all content rather than just anonymized content.

sean

From: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of John Wunder <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 8:48 AM
To: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

The one caveat I would add here is that we need to make sure we can provide an information source for things we want to relate but don’t own. I think this is the scenario Terry is worried about.

Example:

Terry publishes Indicator ABC and relates it to Malware XYZ
Jason publishes Malware 123
I realize that Indicator ABC is actually also detecting Malware 123, a variant of XYZ. I want to share this, but I also don’t want to have to re-share Malware 123 or Indicator ABC. So I just share a relationship object:

ID: relationship:UUID-1